Busy B has been committed to the environment since its inception in 1985.
Busy B is able to recycle tonnes of used goods which would otherwise be overloading our landfills. We are able to do this because of our huge volunteer base which enables us to sort, prepare, repair and disburse a mountain of clothing, furniture, household goods, sporting and camping goods, and so on. A use is found for every donated item and because the community knows this, donations are ever increasing. The used goods are sorted and sold in the two Busy B outlets. (Each store carries certain products.)
All clean clothing is accepted. Every week it is sorted and sold locally. It is rotated weekly and the overabundance is then sorted and bagged for other organizations and charities. Specifically :
- Salvation Army
- Bissel Centre
- Diabetic Society
- Victims of Disasters
Clothing that is in disrepair is not wasted. Usable buttons and zippers are removed. Quilt blocks are cut, craft materials are made, and cleaning rags are bagged and sold.
Clothing that is old-fashioned or unusual is kept for our special costume centre.
The best use is made of all donations.
- Incomplete games are recombined to make complete games.
- Stuffed toys are washed, sanitized and bagged for sale or donation.
- Eyeglasses are saved and sent to Mexico through the Lions Club.
- Magazines and books are sold.
- New items are set aside for Silent Auctions (province-wide)or for sale at the Farmer's Market.
- Yarn is salvaged and re-wound for sale in balls.
- Clean torn bedding is sold for pet use.
- Appliances are tested, cleaned and parts are salvaged.
- Good jewelry is sold, broken jewelry is added to craft kits.
- School kits are made from scissors, crayons and pencils and a pencil case.
Other Examples of Recycling
- Ink cartridges and cell phones are donated to the food bank, for recycling revenue
- Empty margarine or yogurt containers are collected for use in re-packaging foods at the food bank
- Campbell's soup labels are collected for a Girl Guide Project
- Used postage stamps are collected for the Leprosy Mission.
- Egg cartons are recycled
- Beverage can pull tabs are collected for wheelchairs.
- Garden produce is brought in and shared.
- Unused flowers and plants are collected from the local flower shop and delivered to the ill, lonely, seniors, and so on.
- Crutches, walkers, slippers are given to the Health Care Centre and Home Care.
- Balls of baby yarn are collected for the Guardian Angel Project.
- Craft supplies are donated to 4-H, Guides, Senior's Lodge etc.
- Motel soap and lotion donated to Emergency Shelters, or included in food bank hampers.
- Tiny items like paper clips and safety pin are collected in pill bottles.
- Fire starters are made from pine cones, broken baskets, wooden pieces, old candles...
- A short recycling idea is submitted to the Tofield Mercury weekly.
- An environmental display is used to show visiting groups and school children how Busy B recycles.
- Busy B is always searching for opportunities and connections to improving our recycling.
- Our mission is shared through talks given by our co-ordinator.
- Goods are not donated helter-skelter - organizations are asked for suggestions of their specific needs.
- Busy B always welcomes new ideas and suggestions
Items Accepted for Recycling
- Beverage pull tabs
- Blankets, sheets, bedding (clean, any condition)
- Calendars, outdated
- Campbells Food labels
- Clothing (clean, any condition)
- Craft items
- Egg Cartons
- Fabric lengths or scraps
- Furniture and furniture pieces (clean, in saleable condition)
- Garden produce surplus
- Garden seeds, surplus
- Greeting cards
- Hair accessories
- Heinz baby food labels
- Household items
- Jigsaw puzzles and pieces
- Magazines (current)
- Miscellaneous parts from broken sets
- Motel soaps, lotions, conditioners, shampoos
- Plant cuttings in pots
- Plastic bags
- Playing cards
- Postage stamps, new or used
- Sewing supplies: buttons, thread, zippers
- Shoes, footwear of all kinds
- Soap scraps
- Toys and games
- Yarn, used or new, knitted projects or pieces, even partially knitted
Any item not listed above -- give us a call and we can probably find a home or a use for it!