History of the Tofield Union Ladies' Aid p. 106-108.
The Bank of Montreal in Tofield p. 109-110
The Tofield Agricultural Society p. 111-113
Tofield Library p. 114-116
Palestine Lodge, No. 46, A.F. and A.M. p. 117-120
Tofield Knights of Pythias p. 121-122
The Women's Institute p.123-125
Pioneer Community Pasture p.126-129
The Tofield F.W.U.A. #620 p. 130-132
The Trent Ranch p. 133-138
Ionic Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star p. 139-140
Tofield Legion p. 141-143
Junior Farm Clubs p. 144-145
Tofield Community League p. 146-156
Women's Auxiliary to the Tofield Community League, & Tofield Lions' Club p. 157-159
Tofield Gun Club p. 159-165
The Tofield Historical Society p. 166-167
The first Community Pasture in Central Alberta was formed by the Blackfoot Stock Association at North Cooking Lake in 1920.
The annual fall round-up begins toward the end of September. Then, the cattle are corralled, separated, counted and assigned to the rightful owners. It is an exciting time at the pasture headquarters. The pasture still occupies a tract of land nine miles long and six miles wide, twenty miles east of Edmonton and south of Highway 16. In the early days, the region was known as the "Beaver Hills."
The tract first was set aside by the Dominion Government for a forest reserve during the 1800's and was leased for a grazing reserve by the Blackfoot Stock Association in 1920. The next such community pastures on record in this area are the Twin River Grazing Resseves which were organized in 1935 and 1936. By the early 1940's there were eight experimental grazing reserves in Central Alberta.
Two roving forest rangers were appointed to look after the Beaver Hills forest reserve in 1895. Ranger Bill Stevens and his guide, Black Jack Sanderson, a Sioux Indian, had a shack at Blackfoot Springs on the old Beaver Hill Lake Trail which at that time was the main trail to Tofield from Edmonton.
A great deal of logging was carried on at the forest reserve before the turn of the century. Matt McCauley, who became the first mayor of Edmonton in 1892 operated one of the first saw-mills in the district. In 1894, a great fire swept through the region. A year later on October 22, a prairie fire started south of Beaver Hill Lake, at township 52, range 23. It swept through the forest reserve and persisted in the ground over winter.
Much of the big timber was destroyed; logging was practically at an end. Nonetheless, a fine growth of
p. 127 grass followed on the burned over areas and a veritable haven for livestock resulted.
When the Blackfoot Stock Association was formed in 1920, 150 men signed up. The membership fee was one dollar each. Nearly all were farmers from Tofield, Lamont, Fort Saskatchewan and Clover Bar.
For one dollar the provincial government leased them 40,000 acres within the reserve for one year. In the same year, the association borrowed $12,000 from the Merchants' Bank in Tofield to finance fencing the pasture. A fence of four strands of barbed wire with solid cedar posts was completed the same season. The south side of the pasture fence was constructed and built by Jim Gray, the father of Jack Gray, the present range-rider and manager.
The association charged members $2.50 per head per season. It was very dry during the early twenties and horses were brought in from Camrose and as far south as Stettler and Big Valley. When the bank loan was due for repayment, there were no funds in reserve to meet it and many of the members dropped out. The remaining ones paid it, however, and it was $420.00 each.
Mr. Pincott., J.M. Verge and John Morrow each acted as secretary-treasurer for some years. The provincial government took charge for the subsequent eight years, after which the farmers again formed an organization known as the Blackfoot Grazing Association. This is a non-profit organization working in conjunction with the department of lands and forests. Expenses are paid and remaining funds are used for improvements.
In 1947 Jack Gray took over the management of the reserve and the community pasture using as his headquarters buildings erected in 1912 by the Dominion Government. The membership fee is now five dollars a year. Approximately 1100 head of stock are on the pasture each season at $6.00 per head. All stock must be vaccinated and,
with the exception of purebreds, de-horned. For deciding the pasture's capacity, a cow and calf is taken as the equivalent of one and a half head and a yearling as three-quarters.
Manager Jack Gray keeps one hired man and at least three good saddle horses, for there are many miles of fence to ride and repair. Jack says, "an elk will jump the fence but a moose goes right through it." He estimates there are around 100 head of deer,40 to 50 moose and perhaps 25 elk. He says that elk, unlike moose,"yard up" in the bush and are seldom seen. One of the most likely places to look for the elk or moose with their young is at the salt licks. They also graze in the swamps at twilight where the grass grows green around huge old tamarack stumps that measure up to three feet across. The wood therein is still hard and sound and they bear mute testimony to the logging operations that were carried on there over one hundred years ago. Salt has to be supplied regularly for the wildlife as well as the livestock. No hunting is allowed at any time. The beaver have made a wonderful comeback inside the fence, thus helping to ensure plentiful supplies of water in the pasture.
Cattle put in the pasture from the west gate are ear-tagged in the right ear and those admitted at the east gate are tagged in the left. A cross-fence dividing the pasture prevents cattle entered from the west ranging on the east side and vice-versa, thereby simplifying the fall round-up.
One whole section inside the pasture has been enclosed with a fence. A gate to this fenced section opens into a strongly-fenced one acre corral called the "catch fence." The cattle are rounded up in groups. Each group is hazed into this one-acre catch fence, where they are counted. Then they are released into the fenced one-section corral. Further separating by brand can be carried on then and finally the animals are run into the corrals for their owner.
This year, Jack Gray's children, Caroline 15, and Ronnie, 13, who ride as though to "the saddle born" will be taking part in the fall round-up, hazing the cattle in golden September sunshine along the fence that their grandfather helped to build forty years ago.
This article is reprinted by permission of the author, Mrs. Irene Williams and by courtesy of the Winnipeg Free Press.
The first U.F.W.A. local in Tofield was formed October 24, 1925. At a well attended meeting, Mrs. W.D. McNaughton of the provincial organization, stated the advantages of belonging to a local branch. It was unanimously voted to form such a group. Officers elected were: President) Mrs. Johnsone Ferguson; Vice-President, Mrs. J.B. Warner; Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs.Hingston; Directors: Mrs. Wffi. Parker, Mrs. A.N.Booth,Mrs. J. L. Gray, Mrs. C. Baptist, and Mrs. F.O. Ball.
A feature of the afternoon was an address by the "Red Cross Lady," Mrs. Mary Conquest, who was impressed by the coincidence of the Red Cross speaker at a Farm Women's meeting, in a hall owned by the Women's Institute.
On March 10, 1949, at a meeting at Mrs. J. Appleby's home it was voted to change the name from the United Farm Women of Alberta, to Farm Women's Union of Alberta, in line with the change in the Provincial Organization. Mrs. A. Torrie made the motion) which was seconded by Mrs. Jas. Dunki, President, and Mrs. McConnell as Secretary-Treasurer agreed to continue in Office in the new local.
Junior locals in Alberta are the responsibility of the Women's groups, and in this area three such locals were formed: The Bardo Junior U.F.A. organized by Mrs. McNaughton in 1931; President, Ivan Foshaug; Vice-President, Margaret Moen; Sec. Treas., Mabel Jevening; Leaders, Mrs. Finseth and B. Anderson. The Tofield Junior also by Mrs. McNaughton in 1931; President, Harold Schultz; Vice-Pres. Leda Baptist and Elgin Seale. The Ketchamoot Junior., in 193S formed by Mrs. A. Torrie, was succeeded by Mrs. McNaughton as District Director; President, Stanley Sears; Vice-Pres. Allen Harrison; Secretary, Margaret Mitchell.
These three locals were active for a relatively short time, and disbanded when interest waned.
In its forty-two years of life, the Tofield F.W.U.A has made a very great contribution to the community and to many humanitarian projects. Generous donations have been made yearly since 1925 to the Red Cross. Yearly support goes also to the C.N.I.B. the Unitarians, T.B. seals, the Salvation Army, and the Cancer Society Prisoner of War fund, the Winnipeg Flood Relief Fund, and many, many others. Locally they have donated to curtains for the community hall, movie projector for the school, the Lions' skating rink, coffee pots for the Community league. They loaned 100 dollars to the Community League and later donated it outright.
During the war years the Red Cross was devotedly supported by the farm women, who knit sweaters, scarves, mittens, and socks in an endless stream and pieced and tied quilts in endless dozens, to be turned over to the Red Cross to be used as they saw fit. Woolen blankets, slippers and layettes were donated to the Tofield Hospital. For the last twelve years salvage drives were sponsored, which have turned in literally tons of used papers and clothes to the Red Cross and Salvation Amy.
Old timers will remember the annual whist drives put on by farmers, men and women, in the Old Variety Theatre, well supported by town and country alike. In 1931, there was the Art and Handicrafts exhibit., not for prizes, but to show the exceptional beauty and skill which went in to the making of so many wonderful articles. This display was written up for the Mercury by Mr. Worton, who gave great praise to all concerned in the exhibit.
And no member who attended them will forget the birthday parties, each October, which were something to marvel at and to treasure in memory. The F.W.U.A. cook books deserve mention; these recipes were collected from members throughout the province were compiled and printed first in 1928. At last count, over 65,000 were distributed, going to all parts of the world, where many are in daily use. The Tofield local has handled between five or six hundred and still the orders come in.
Membership through the past years have included the vast majority of farm women of the district; very few names do not appear somewhere along the line. Under the capable leadership of Mrs. Moos, president and Mrs Crispin, Secretary-Treasurer, Centennial year was entered with high hopes for continued good times and worth-while endeavours in the future.
Mrs. John Thomson
Mr. G.A. Trent brought, in 1910, what was known locally as the Logan Ranch which, lying on the west side of Beaverhill Lake, was comprised of approximately 19 quarter-sections of land. For a few years following his purchase of the Logan Ranch, Mr. Trent traded horses. People were able to pasture their horses on his land and he would then try and sell these horses to out of town buyers for the owner. He also ran about a thousand Merino sheep but found this breed not suitable for conditions in this area.
"On Dec. 30, 1927, Mr. Trent sold the entire ranch by contract to a group of Mennonites, consisting of seven families for $126,000. The deal was made by the Canadian Colonization Company, a subsidiary of the C. P.R. The seven families took possession on Jan. 1, 1928. Representing the Mennonites was W.A. Klassen, while the vendee was G.A. Trent," records the Tofield Mercury of Dec. 30, 1927.
Mr. Henry Schroeder, son of H.G. Schroeder, one of the original Mennonite buyers, fives [sic] the following account of the early days on the former Trent Ranch.
"My father, H.G. Schroeder, came to the Trent Ranch with his family in the winter of 1927-28. We moved into a 'lean-to' which had been an oat bin, a cattle shed and -- rumour had it -- a chicken house. The inside was lined with a very thick type of wallpaper which made ideal homes or nests for those little, flat-bellied creatures that came for dinner in the middle of the night -- bedbugs. These nocturnal invasions forced the family to spend nights in a granary while the house was being fumigated with burning sulphur to destroy the pests."
"At times we had two extra families overnight. Some slept on the table, some on coats and blankets under the table. It was quite a chore getting organized in the morning."
Mr. G.A. Trent had sold his ranch to seven families under one contract. Participants in the deal were: H.G. Schroeder, J.A. Heidebrecht, A. Froese, P. Goertzen, A. Peters, John Peters and Frank Peters. The ranch contained Sections 16, 17, 20, 21, S1/2 of 28, SE 1/4 of 30, S 1/2 of 34, SW 1/4 of 30 and all the lake shore bordering this land was leased from the government.
The land was divided into seven parcels and numbered. Ownership of the land was decided by lot, the numbers of the parcels of land being drawn from a hat. Not everyone was satisfied with the results of the draw and the procedure had to be repeated until all were satisfied. Finally, when the smoke cleared, Mr. Goertzen settled on SE 1/4 of 30, Mr. Froese on S 1/2 of 28, Mr. Heiderbrecht and Mr. Schroeder on 20, A. Peters on NW 1/4 of 17, Frank Peters on SW 1/4 of 17, and John Peters on 16, close to the lake.
Land had to be fenced and buildings erected where none existed. The agreement was that the families moving into houses would help the others build the necessary dwellings. This arrangement was responsible for differences of opinion.
Wells had to be dug and water in sufficient quantities was not always found. J. Peters couldn't find enough water so every day he led his cattle out onto the lake where he watered them through a hole in the ice. By March the lake was frozen to a considerable depth as it was shallow. The distance to the water hole seemed even longer on a windy, cold day.
Goertzen from SE of 30 led his cattle to our place on NW of 20, for quite some time and we boys enjoyed watching the occasional bull fight when the cattle came together (by accident, of course!).
Much land had to be cleared and broken. Most of the breaking was done by hired machinery but the clearing
was done by hand. I remember the long cables we tied to the bigger trees (there were some whoppers!). The team of horses strained at the end of the cables while the axes chewed away at the roots of these giants.
After breaking came root-picking using the axe and grub hoe. One fall we picked roots far into December; there was no snow and very little frost to hamper the work.
One year, Heiderbrechts and Schroeders cleared and broke 80 acres. This was sown to Marquis wheat the following spring and a splendid standard resulted. Then in early August, we had a tremendous storm which laid the field flat. Most of it stayed that way and; of course, cutting and stooking the grain was quite a chore. Our fathers tried to cut the lodged grain by using pick-up arms on the binder and going just one way but the binders were unable to stand the strain and breakdowns were frequent. Horses had a difficult task as they had to step lively or the binder would jam.
Then came stooking, which involved tearing the sheaves apart. We boys had a taste of this hard work, too. Later the men on the threshing crew had their turn trying to make those horrible bundles behave. Although 48 - 50 bushels per acre were threshed, at least a quarter of the crop remained on the ground.
We went to MacKenzie School which was located on the N.W. corner of N.W. 1/4 of 7-52-18-W.4. We drove in a buggy or democrat in the summer and used a cutter in winter. Usually two or three families shared one outfit. We boys took turns at driving or, at least, at holding the reins. Many a runaway ensued. In later years, I have wondered what our mothers must have felt when they saw the horses come galloping full steam into the yard with the cutter on its side or with just the tongue and double trees dragging behind!
We raised our own horses and had plenty of excitement breaking them for riding and for driving. In the spring, we usually had four horses to a plow with one
behind pulling a section of harrows. Hay was made with horsepower also, with the teams pulling the mower, the rake, the sweep, the buck and later, the overhead stacker. In wet years, mosquitos were a real plague, nearly devouring the horses.
Then came the dry thirties! One poor crop after another and no other income -- nothing with which to make payments on the land. Mr. Trent was very patient with us and helped in many ways, but gradually the people gave up. Some went to the Debt Adjustment Board to get straightened away; one by one, they left the ranch. My father alone chose to stay rather than to move again.
However, it was very hard going until the middle of the forties. The crops were poor and the prices low; even cattle prices went to pieces. I remember father sending a cow to market just before Christmas one year and getting a cheque for sixty-six cents after trucking and expenses. Can you wonder at Santa Claus sort of sneaking by that year?
As the farmers involved in the original agreement of sale left the ranch, Mr. Trent took over again with the aid of hired help. These men moved in, bringing their families, and later rented the land they had helped to farm. Mr. W. Morowski moved to the farm on the S 1/2 of 28 which had been vacated by Mr. Froese. Here he worked for many years. The Dales moved onto the farm of John Peters on section 16 where they raised sheep for a few years. Mr. B. Pikula bought S.E. 1/4 of 30. Other workers on the repossessed Trent land were: Peter Bassaraba, Frank Sharun, Peter Sharun, Harry Litwin, Mac Reed, Steve Kozak, Fred Schacker, Nick Holowychuck.
Later Mr. Trent's two sons moved onto the ranch. Mr. G.A. (Art) Trent, took over the north half of section 17 and Mr. H.M. (Monro) Trent the south half of the same section.
When Mr. Trent passed away in January 1954,the ranch was divided among his children. George Arthur and Henry Munro were already farming this inheritance;
p. 137 Bessie Delves inherited the S 1/2 of 28; Jacqueline (Mrs. Gregg) part of N 1/2 of 20 and SW 1/4 of 21. Evelyn (Mrs. McIntosh) the S 1/2 of 20 and also shared SE 1/4 of 21 with Mrs. Gregg.
My wife and I were working for Mr. Trent when he passed away and continued renting the Greggs farm till 1953 when we moved to the Secord farm.
Having spent 25 years on the Ranch, I have many fond memories. I recall with nostalgia the childhood excursions into the woods to destroy the nest of crows and magpies. We couldn't resist climbing to the horned owl's nest; the papa or mama objected violently, knocking off my friend's cap and clawing him considerably. That event cured us -- for a while.
In winter, we visited the same woods to shoot rabbits to use as bait on our weasel traps.
The cattle round-ups were always looked forward to with great pleasure. We enjoyed watching the branding and vaccinating of the young range calves.Learning to rope was a challenge which required much patience and perseverance to master. Learning to stay on a good cutting horse and later, training one's own horse were real accomplishments.
The trips to the Blackfoot Forest Reserve for willow fence posts had their ups and downs. Upsetting a load of 125 posts and having to reload with the temperature far below zero and not a pleasant experience.We were glad to get home to a warm house at night -- yet no one wanted to miss the next day's trip.
Threshing time was a highlight of the year. Fondly remembered are the keen rivalry to put on the biggest load of bundles, the occasional tricks and stunts such as plugging the machine, tying bundles together in an impossible-to-lift mass, and wrestling with other crew members. One 17-year old who knew all about threshing unloaded too long from the side and so tipped over with half of his load; he looked and probably felt very foolish. A full crew consisted of 6 bundle wagons and two field pitchers and the separator man.
So ends Mr. Schroeder's chronicle of the Trent Ranch.
Ionic Chapter No.72, Order of the Eastern Star was instituted at Tofield, March 28, 1928. 30 members were initiated at this meeting. Sister L. McLean was installed as Worthy Matron and Brother McClurg was Worthy Patron.
Mr. John Chapman became a member in 1931. He was one of the most interested and active members. The furnishings and regalia were much improved by him.
During the 1930's when work was scarce a number of residents of the district were in very poor circumstances. Many hampers of clothing and food were distributed to those in need. Much credit is due to the local mail carriers who so kindly delivered parcels to the country people.
During World War II quilts were made and sent to the Red Cross and many of the members did knitting and sewing for the Tofield Branch of the Red Cross of which Sister Hammond was convener. Approximately 170 parcels of fancy food, candy and gum were packed and sent to the boys overseas.
With the opening of the Tofield Hospital in 1947 a lot of sewing had to be done. Many of the Eastern Star members helped with this. Baby layettes have been donated to many needy mothers.
For years the Red Cross Drive and the Mobile Chest X-Ray were sponsored by Ionic Chapter.
Ionic Chapter contributed to the O.E.S. homes for senior members. These cottages are located in Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton and Grand Prairie. Donations are made to a number of charitable organizations in the province.
Eastern Star Membership in 1967 was 56 with 3 Charter Members still on the roll, Mrs. Blanche Hardy, Mrs. Leona Webb, and Mrs. Rose Dodds. The Worthy Matron is
p. 140 Mrs. Evelyn Nolan; the Worthy Patron, Mr. Neil Phillips.
The fortieth anniversary of Ionic Chapter was celebrated in 1968 with Mrs. Daisy Young as W.M.,and Neil Phillips as W.P.
On April 19th of 1968, The Tofield branch of the Royal Canadian Legion celebrated its 38th year of existence. Much can be said for this organization, which has suffered many reverses and yet stayed active. It has through the years done a great deal in making the town what it is; aiding and working with other organizations, sponsoring various events, etc. However, its main interest has been in keeping alive the memories fallen soldiers who lost their lives in battle.
Following is a brief history of the Legion, which will bring back many memories to old-timers, and will be of great interest to other readers.
On April 19, 1930, a group of men gathered in the old town hall and were addressed by Captain Hudson, Provincial organizer of the Canadian Legion. As a result, comrades Bill Chapman and A.B. Clutterham were empowered to take the necessary steps to secure a charter. The charter was granted on April 28th, 1930, and Cde. Bill Chapman was elected president and Cde. Clutterham secretary. This was the beginning of the Tofield Legion with a membership of 35, holding meetings in the town hall, and social gatherings in the old curling rink waiting room where a piano was at hand.
The charter members of 15 included John.W. Morton, A.P. Harrold, A.J.H. McCauley, A.B. Clutterham, A.E.F. Carey, R.F. Skitch, T. Cookson, H.W. Lovell, John W. Chapman, R.W. Pincott, E.W. Rogers, W.C. Morden, H.A. Kendall, C.J. Carr and J. (Doc) Simpson. They bought poppies which were sold for them by the Ladies of the I.O.D.E., they held church parades and generally carried on the functions of a Canadian Legion branch.
Then came the "Great Depression" in the "Hungry Thirties" when many of the most loyal members moved away -- some were forced to quit and the group became quite small. However, a few still carried on; Cde. Clutterham still ordered poppies and the I.O.D.E. ladies still sold them, and with the profits the secretary
paid the "per capita tax" on the few loyal members remaining. With the balance they supplied comforts and extras to families of Veterans on Relief or in want.
Finally, the small group was forced to resign and return the charter. With $300 in the bank, which was earned in the G. W. V. A. days putting on dances and whist drives, and not wanting to send this money to Calgary, the group decided to build a cenotaph as a memorial to those in Tofield and district who had made the supreme sacrifice for Canada and the British Empire. Cde. Bill Chapman and John Letourneau drew up plans, similar to the Fort Scott Memorial. Cde. George Brace and H. Lovell (members of the town council) succeeded in getting a large donation from the town for this purpose. Deciding on the present location as best suited for the purpose, construction of the memorial took place using field stone collected from the farms in the Tofield district. The cairn was erected by Mr. Frank Hisey of Ross Creek, an old-time stonemason, and Fred Imler of the Gas Company donated pipe for the railing. The Boy Scouts cleaned out the bush in the trees at the back and were later given a lot just north of the legion where they erected the flagpole, making a place of beauty for a memorial Cairn and park, with a 50-foot frontage, which has been very well kept up through the years, and certainly is a credit to Tofield.
Sunday, Nov. 12th, 1939, was destined to become the forerunner of many solemn gatherings at the new memorial which was unveiled that day by Major General W.A. Greisbach., who was the original O.C., of the 49th Edmonton Regiment.
Approximately five or six hundred citizens assembled to witness the ceremony which started off with a parade of Veterans of the Boer War and World War I, together with 20 members of the Canadian Active Army. The ceremony continued with an address by Gen. Greisbach, after which an Invocation was given by Rev. D.K. Allan. A massed choir under the direction of L.A. Broughton, high school principal, led the singing, and wreathes
were laid on behalf of the local community and Edmonton Branch of the Canadian Legion.
No doubt that day made a deep impression on the hearts and minds of all present.
During the war years that followed, the traditional duties were still kept alive by the fallen comrades in the mind of the community by ordering poppies which were sold by the faithful 1. 0. D. E. ladies. They kept up the parade and services at the cenotaph on Remembrance Day.
We realize this account of the Tofield Branch of the Canadian Legion is far from complete but we were unable to obtain further information.. However, no account of the Legion should omit the name of Dick Mutlow whose contributions to the Legion and to Tofield were innumerable.
The Legion has done much charitable work and has co-operated with other local organizations in civic projects.
District Agriculturalist, Fred Newcombe from Vegreville, first organized junior farm clubs in the Tofield district in the early thirties. Grain, swine, and beef clubs were organized with the aim of improving the quality of grain and of breeding stock. The highlight of this era in junior farm club work was the achievement of Helmer Moen and Joe Kallal who, after winning a trip to the Royal Winter Fair, proceeded to win the beef-judging competition against competitors from all over Canada.
In 1943, under the leadership of Mr, Lars Olsen, a teacher at MacKenzie School, a beef club for the boys and girls of the MacKenzie and Tofield area was organized. In 1944, the two areas each formed its own club. Melvin Walker and Happy Holmes were the leaders. Joint achievement days were held by these two clubs for the next three years. In 1947, Ryley and Kingman organized similar clubs and the MacKenzie and Tofield clubs merged into one. John Moore became leader of the Tofield Beef Club and in 1967 is still in that position.
The Kingman club dissolved after three years.
The Tofield Beef Club has some achievements to be proud of. In 1952, Reed Francis and Alan Warner won a trip to the Toronto Royal Winter Fair by placing first in the Alberta beef-judging competition. In the judging competitions at the Royal, they won third place.
In 1953, Jimmy Brown and Darrel Sutton won the Provincial beef-judging competition and went on to-win the Canadian competition. In 1955, one of the winners in the provincial eliminations contest was Doris Ferguson of the Tofield Beef Club, who then went to the Royal. In 1962 Don Wood won the trip to the Royal by first winning the provincial eliminations contest. His interest in beef club work continued; in 1967 he is on the adult committee which guides the 4-H club.
A grain club was organized in 1952 with Bert Kellicut, Alberta Wheat Pool Agent, as leader; it lasted several years before disbanding. A swine club organized under the leadership of Bob Wyllie and Earl Rose carried on for five years.
A girls' home economics club was active for a short period under the leadership of Mrs. Doug Murray.
In 1957, the Tofield 4-H Beef Club organized the Pee-Wee section of the club. The new club was for children nine to eleven years. In 1967, the Pee-Wee club is ten years old and has seventeen members.
Other activities of the 4-H clubs have been: public speaking, debating and conducting meetings. These activities are in addition to the main purpose of the clubs to learn to feed, judge, and care for livestock.
Achievement Day is held early in June. An auction is held; the services of an Edmonton Auctioneer, Don Ball for years were donated. Following the auction, a banquet is held at the Community Centre where awards are presented to winning members.