History of the Tofield Union Ladies' Aid p. 106-108.
The Bank of Montreal in Tofield p. 109-110
The Tofield Agricultural Society p. 111-113
Tofield Library p. 114-116
Palestine Lodge, No. 46, A.F. and A.M. p. 117-120
Tofield Knights of Pythias p. 121-122
The Women's Institute p.123-125
Pioneer Community Pasture p.126-129
The Tofield F.W.U.A. #620 p. 130-132
The Trent Ranch p. 133-138
Ionic Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star p. 139-140
Tofield Legion p. 141-143
Junior Farm Clubs p. 144-145
Tofield Community League p. 146-156
Women's Auxiliary to the Tofield Community League, & Tofield Lions' Club p. 157-159
Tofield Gun Club p. 159-165
The Tofield Historical Society p. 166-167
The Tofield Community League in conjunction with the Women's Auxiliary, has been an extremely important organization in Tofield. It has an enviable record of supporting worthy causes, sponsoring cultural activities, and encouraging any project of value to either town or country.
A meeting was held in the Town Hall on January 20, 1944, for the purpose of forming an organization to take care of the further business. in Tofield and district. After a lengthy discussion, it was moved and seconded by A.B. Clutterham and Ray Coatta respectively, that the name of the organization be "The Tofield Community League," Carried.
Mr. H. Chandler was elected chairman; Father Schmeltzer as vice-president, Mr. G. McFadzean as secretary, Reed Burchard, A.B. Clutterham, F. Imler, Mr. McDonely and S. Sears as directors.
It was agreed that membership should be open to anyone who wanted to belong, provided they pay the membership fee of $1.00 for the year 1944.
Mr. A. Bigland was appointed to draw up a draft of constitution for the Tofield Community League. W. Bellamy, A. Bigland and G. Holmes were elected as membership committee.
On the motion of G. Allan and R. Coatta, the League was to sponsor a minstrel show.
At the end of this first meeting there were 85 paid up members.
The next meeting of the Tofield Community League was held on February 21, 1944 at the dining room of the Royal Alexandra Hotel. After the supper and a sing song led by A.B. Clutterham, an address on "The Future of Youth in Our Community" was given by Mr. Clutterham.
p. 147 On suggestion by Chairman Chandler, the secretary was instructed to write to the Students'Union of both High and Public Schools, inviting each one to select a member who would represent them on the executive of the League.
A committee was appointed to investigate the possibility of ladies becoming members of the League, or asking if they would rather form an auxiliary to the League. The ladies preferred the latter. The League was soon in action, setting the pattern of the activities which were to follow over the years. From its inception, the T.C.L. has been anxious to serve the youth of our community. To this end, it for years paid half of the cost of running the skating rink each year with the Town of Tofield supplying the remaining cost.
At one of its early meetings, the League made provisions for a representative from the High School to be on its executive. Some of these representatives in early years were: Ralph Harrison, Bob Lovell and David Yakabuski.
The School Christmas Concerts were held in the Memorial Hall as were the educational films held on alternate Fridays and attended by every pupil in school.
The Search for Talent Shows by the A.C.T. were sponsored here by the Community League. One outstanding winner, Alfred Myrhe "young old-timer fiddler," later went on to win second prize in a fiddlers' contest in Toronto. A welcome was extended to him by the League when he returned.
The Scouts were given the Memorial Hall rent-free, and also some necessary equipment paid for. Pee-Wee Hockey was also donated equipment from the League which had a committee to run the hockey.
In the realm of sponsoring sports,
the League has been very active. The Memorial Hall was used for dancing, for badminton as well as the youth activities. The League paid expenses for Lloyd Rohloff and Muriel Bailey to take leadership courses in physical training at Red Deer. These two people then conducted classes in physical training in the Memorial Hall under the sponsorship of the League. After the Red Cross Society no longer sponsored the July lst Sports Day, the T.C.L. took it over.
The T.C.L. is interested in the problems of its farmer members too. Agricultural short courses have been sponsored on many occasions. Mechanics' schools and welders' schools have been assisted. The Calf Club Achievement Day has been assisted by the donation of a cup, by donations towards equipping the site of the calf auction, and by paying for the meals of the buyers.
When the Kallal and Wood families won the Master Farmer Award, banquets was tendered in their honour by the League.
In the cultural field, the Community League has sponsored an appearance in Tofield of the University Mixed Chorus. The University players, have also presented evenings of drama under the League's sponsorship In 1949 and 1950, exhibitions of local handicrafts were held in the Memorial Hall with the League's cooperation. Each year, for many years, the League has arranged for a Christmas Carol Festival with all the local choirs participating. This is one of the highlights of the Christmas season.
The Tofield Library when revived in recent times, had its home in the Legion Hall. Since the Community Centre was finished in 1956, the meeting room has housed the library, rent-free.
The T.C.L. also made available, rent-free, the hall for band practice.
The T.C.L. has contributed to the social life of the town-with the weekly movies, the fall carnivals, the card parties it has held.
One of the League's really big affairs was the welcome-home banquet for the veterans. It was held in the curling rink with the space for two sheets of ice planked in, and long, beautifully decorated tables set up.
To celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II a suitable program was sponsored.
The League has given leadership to many vital community projects. Our hospital was sponsored by the League, which undertook the necessary publicity etc, since for some time after Dr. Law's departure in 1941 there had been no permanent resident doctor. The League on hearing of Dr. Freebury's intention of coming to Tofield finished a room for use as his temporary office. This was later the kitchen of the Memorial Hall.
Blood donor clinics were sponsored by the League and the Women's Auxiliary for years.
When the need for an ambulance became apparently it was the Community League which spearheaded the drive to obtain it, as well as donating $500.00 towards its purchase. Pasteurization of milk was also a League project as was the obtaining of a dentist for the community. The need for running water for the town was publicized by the League.
The League has also built two community halls in twenty-five years of its existence. Building even one community hall is an achievement for an organization but the Tofield Community League has built two of them, both ornaments to the town.
The first, The Memorial Hall, was the dream of the community League in its early days. The moving spirits
p. 150 on the executive were Herb Chandler and George McFadzean. A carnival held in the old Variety Theatre furnished the League with $800.00. If this amount seems a fantastic amount to be raised at one event, it should be remembered that road crews, and seismograph crews were stationed in town. The League decided to go ahead building a hall on a lot on which the town gave the League, a ninety-nine year lease for one dollar.
The building committee was composed of A.C. Dodds, Bill Davison and Joe Kallal. The day of the foundations were poured, it was cold and raw. Bill Davison hauled water from Shonts for the cement, George McFadzean accompanied him to help work the pump. When this supply ran out Fred Imler emptied the Gas. Co. wells to finish the job. Reed Burchard, Arnold Swift, and Hans Christensen were also on the cement-pouring detail. Some of the workers recall that while nine men worked mightily, there were eighteen sidewalk supervisors whose comments were: "You'll never build it, boys." How wrong they were proved to be!
When the foundations were ready, the construction of the frame building began. A.C.Dodds was the head carpenter and in charge of securing crews for the necessary volunteer labour were Reed Burchard, Arnold Swift and Hans Christensen. The trusses for the roof were secured from a commercial firm but the rest of the building was to the credit of local volunteer labour.
Finally came the opening night. A variety show was presented. The M.C. was of course, to be Tofield's own Horace McHeffey. The show was billed as "the greatest show under one roof." Thomas Jacobs says the title stretched the truth a bit - the final roof was not yet on. The weather man took cognizance of this fact and the rain came pelting down on the unfinished roof.
Enthusiasm, was not dampened; the new hall was full and the show was good. Everyone remembers the solos sung so beautifully Margaret Dodds (Now Mrs. Roy Brown) daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Dodds.
Later a second minstrel show was held (the first one had been in the Variety Theatre). Once again, Horace McHeffey took a leading part. People still remember his leading act and how it startled the children. Also remembered is Art Francis' neat trick of laughing so heartily that he doubled over with mirth-doubled over far enough to see his lines for the show which he had carefully placed on the floor. The show had a large cast and "brought the house down."
Original members of the T.C.L. remember that the Memorial Hall had the distinction of being built before the blue prints were made. A plan was all that was required to build the uncomplicated building, but to get a theatre license, blue prints had to be registered at the Provincial Architect's office. Due to the combined efforts of Blake Clutterham, Floyd Baker, MLA, Walter Bellamy and a willing draftsman, the blue prints made the deadline.
The T.C.L. preferred to go on a "pay-as-you-go" basis with the hall but when it became necessary to have the theatre seats installed, a larger sum of money and loans were solicited from members of the community. These were later retired by lot up to a given amount each year.
Finally the kitchen of the hall was furnished and equipped. The W.A.T.C.L. had., of course.,been most active all these years but the kitchen was their special project. Another project was buying and making the beautiful wine coloured velvet curtains for the stage.
A cloakroom was furnished and the Legion finished the space over the furnace for their own use.
Theatre equipment was installed and movies were shown every Friday and Saturday. Among the operators of the projector were Art Elliott, George McFadzean, Jack Whyte and Hans Christensen.
The Memorial Hall served the community well for eight years but on the evening of March 20, 1955, disaster struck. The hall burned down. By the time the fire was discovered, the whole inside was aflame, and nothing was saved except the spirit that built it in the first place. Next day the radio reported the Community League president Bill Davison voicing the feeling of the League by saying, "We will build again."
The officers on whose shoulders fell the burden of what was to be an extremely active year were President Bill Davison; Vice-President, Conrad Patterson, Secretary, George McFadzean; Treasurer, Neil Wilkinson; Directors, Thomas Jacobs, George Arnett, Lorimer Hunter, A.C. Dodds; Theatre Committee, Jack Whyte, Art Elliott, George McFadzean, H.E. Christensen, A.C.Dodds. The day after the fire a meeting was held in the Curling Rink. It was a unanimous decision to rebuild the hall and a new building committee was formed to carry out the task. This was composed of: W. Davison, A.D. Dodds, D.W. Jacobs, G. McFadzean, A. Swift.
The insurance from the hall was $38,800 so this time the task of building was a bit easier. Watson (Tofield) Ltd. were the contractors and by December 13 the hall was ready for the ceremonial opening. Well, almost ready. The women's league members were washing and waxing floors into the small hours of the night, while the men's league members assembled theatre seats which had been delayed in transit. The weather was bitter cold, many roads were blocked but on December 14 came the grand formal opening.
The following news item was read over the radio station on the morning of December 14,1955: "Premier E.C. Manning will officially open Tofield's new $70,000.00 community centre this afternoon. Construction of the new fireproof and steel reinforced structure was started in March, 1955, immediately after the fire which destroyed the previous centre. The frontage of the completed
structure is 70 feet wide and is finished in imitation marble. The auditorium, including the stage is 50 feet by 100 feet and also incorporated a large meeting room. Other rooms include a kitchen, a cloak room and a lobby. There is, in the auditorium seating capacity for more than three hundred persons. Its 35 mm. motion picture equipment is of the latest design and is capable of showing vista-vision and large screen as well as regular pictures. The new hall will serve all branches of Tofield's activities and business, religious or charitable organizations."
The great day arrived, Premier E.C. Manning cut the ribbon to declare the centre officially open. On the Stage were the President, Bill Davison, Premier E. C. Manning; Senator Stambaugh; Earl Hardy, M.L.A., Mr. H.A. Pike, Superintendent of Schools; Conrad Patterson, Mayor of Tofield; George McFadzean; Howard Watson, and representatives of the firms who had serviced the hall. Congratulatory speeches and telegrams were the order of the day. T.V. cameras photographed the tightly packed hall.
After introductory remarks by Mr. Pike, Superintendent of Holden School Division, Premier Manning presented Barbara Phillips with the Governor-General's medal awarded for the highest marks in the Grade IX examination the previous June. Other gifts were presented to Barbara by Mrs. Thomas Jacobs, president of the Women's League, Charles Sears, Holden School Division Trustee and Jack Lampitt, the Grade IX teacher.
The P.P.C.L.I. band was in attendance. In the evening they gave a concert which will long be remembered.
The following two evenings featured dancing and the annual Christmas Carol Festival and the new Community Centre was initiated into serving the community as the Memorial Hall had done.
The July 1st celebration of 1955 was held in conjunction with the Golden Jubilee Committee, this being the year of Alberta's Golden Jubilee. A parade, barbecue, museum and Old Timers' tent were the features of the day. Dr. W.H. Swift formerly of Tofield was the guest speaker. The dance at night was to be held in the Ryley Community Hall as the new Community Hall was under construction.
The Tofield Library was given the use of the meeting room in the Centre rent free. The proceeds from the sale of the booklet "A Concise History of Tofield and District," written by the Jubilee Committee, Rev. K. Iwaasa, Rev. V.P. Cole, Mrs. Grace Phillips and Mrs. Aileen Elliott, were donated to buy a library table and chairs for the library.
The backdrop for the stage in the Tofield Community Centre is the work of Joe Chubaty and Dirk DeFrenne. Mr. Pete Kuc, with beautiful flower beds, has beautified the front of the Community Centre.
1959 was an important year for the League.
Mr. H.A. Pike was the guest speaker at the T.C.L. annual meeting in January stressing the need of good relationship between school and community. The 1959 executive were: Norman Glover, President Bill Finn, Secretary; Horace Sellers, treasurer; Mrs. J. E. Stinson gave the library report, stating that the Tofield Library now qualified for a $200 grant from the Dept. of Extension.
During the year, a series of card parties were held to repair calf pens on the exhibition grounds at the request of the Calf Clubs. A visit of the University Mixed Chorus was sponsored; a Band Concert was given by the Tofield Band under the leadership of Rex Boyles to commemorate Jubilee Year; the annual community auction was held; Donkey Baseball was brought to town and with the help of the Tofield Golden Jubilee Committee, this year, in the Community League actively supported the year-long celebration of the Golden Jubilee
of the Town of Tofield. The "Tofield Mercury" recorded the following account of the final event of that year.
"Members of the Women's Auxiliary to the Community League arranged the supper to which all attending contributed. Head table guests included: Father Purcell, Mr. & Mrs. Harold Weatherill, Mrs. Edith Rogers, Rev. and Mrs. S. Bell, Dr. and Mrs.W.H. Freebury, Mr. & Mrs. H.A. Pike, Mr. and Mrs. Norman Glover, Mr. and Mrs. A. Maxwell, Mark Ferguson.
Mrs. Edith Rogers, daughter of Dr. Tofield, after whom the town was named, cut the three-tiered Jubilee cake made by Mrs. Mabel Boyles and decorated by Mrs. Norman Stauffer.
Rev. Bell, Chairman,, introduced the people who had come that year to live in Tofield. Mr. Glover, president of the Community League, I welcomed the newcomers. Mr. H.A. Pike, Superintendent of Schools for the County of Beaver, replied.
Mrs. Grace Phillips was presented with a bouquet of long-stemmed red roses by Dr. Freebury, as a token of appreciation for her work done as Press Secretary for the Jubilee Committee.
Selections by the Tofield Bank introduced the program. A pageant, produced and narrated by Mrs. Phillips employed about fifty children and in different scenes showed Chief Ketchamoot (after whom Ketchamoot Creek and district are named) and his Indian tribe around the campfire; Indian war dancing; Robert Logan's trading post; square dancing to the Spilsted orchestra; choir practice at the home of George Cookson, Sr.; pioneer sports enthusiasts returning after a successful day in Vegreville; Dr. and Mrs. Tofield at work; Tofield town moving to its three different town sites;
Tofield's first election.
Charles Kallal's films of the events of Jubilee Year completed the evening's entertainment."
During the years, the Community League has sponsored both adult education courses and the Red Cross swimming lessons for the children.
As well as those mentioned previously, two men who gave greatly of their time and talents to the League during their terms as president were W.B.Worton, partner in the I.G.A. Store and John Baergen, manager of the Tofield Co-op Store.
In 1967, the League suffered the loss, through death of its president, Lionel Borton. The remainder of the term was filled out by J.C. Lampitt, with Peter Nickel as secretary and Hans Christensen as treasurer, a post he had filled efficiently for many years. The League co-operated with the Tofield Centennial Committee in every way to make the Centennial year a success.
The 1968 executive consisted of:. J. C. Lampitt, president; Ed Watson, vice-president; Father Scriven as secretary, and Rita Halverson as treasurer.
The debt on the Community Centre has been reduced to less than $10,000.
The Women's Auxiliary to the Tofield Community League was organized in the Town Hall in October 27, 1946. Its first executive consisted of Mrs. Ed Kallall Jr., President; Mrs. H. Bowick, Vice-President; Mrs. C.Hallett, Secretary Treasurer.
The main objective of the W.A.T.C.L. was to assist the men's league, particularly in raising money.
Reading between the lines of the organization, one senses that this was an exceptionally energetic group of women. In the first two years of the auxiliary's existence. It had supported a Superfluity Shop; held raffles; held Christmas Jamborees for the school children, in conjunction with the annual Christmas Concert donated impressive sums to the men's league; sponsored a amateur night, also the University Players; bought a piano for the hall; run a popcorn stand at the carnival equipped the Memorial Hall kitchen with dishes; cutlery and cupboards; sponsored Mrs. Stinson's annual music recital; organized the Cancer Fund drive and taken tickets at the show part of the time.
In 1940, the W.A.T.C.L. took over the refreshment booth at the Exhibition Grounds on July lst. This particular enterprise has expanded into the serving of meals at the Annual Sports Day.
Since Tofield at that time did not have running water, many entries in the minutes concerned the securing and storing of water for the various events catered for in the hall. This is one aspect of the "good old days" for which no one will have any nostalgia.
Soon the W.A.T.C.L. secured a popcorn machine. This was a real revenue-securing addition to the Hall. The women took (and still take) turns at popping the corn for the shows. A new booth was built on the Fair Grounds for the exclusive use of the W.A.T.C.L.
Over the years, Mrs. Irma Francis has been president for the largest number of terms, Mrs. Hazel Patterson holds the same record for the secretary's office.
Donations were made to the band, to the Coronation Committee and a $50.00 Scholarship was set aside to be awarded annually to the Grade IX student with the highest marks in the Departmental exams. This has been won by Lorraine Lee, Barbara Phillips, Vera Tiedemann, Glenda Patterson, Lorraine Allan, Elaine Sorrel, Tom Christensen and Ruth Dickson.
A sizeable donation was made to the Ambulance fund. Lunch was werved for the opening of the new Bank of Montreal. In fact, the history of the W.A.T.C.L. is one long series of lunches, banquets, receptions, dances catered for. It proved an effective way to raise money for in addition to equipping the kitchen, and check room in the hall, the beautiful red velvet curtains were bought and made by the Auxiliary for the stage.
Just when the W.A.T.C.L. had begun to feel able to let up a bit in their efforts, the Memorial Hall burned down and the next few years read like a carbon copy of the first few years. Another piano, more curtains for the stage, more dishes, cutlery and tables for catering, more stoves and cupboards for the kitchen, another popcorn machine, and now stacking tables for banquets were among their projects. In 1959 Mrs. Mabel Boyles was president of the W.A.T.C.L.; Mrs. Ingrid Jacobs, vice-president; Mrs. Hazel Patterson, secretary, and Mrs. Mildred Watson, treasurer. At no time had the group been a large one, but it had certainly been an effective one, as its record of service shows.
Due to declining members this group disbanded in December, 1964.
Tofield Lions' Club, a branch of Lions International was organized in Tofield in 1953, and held its Charter Night in May, 1955, at Lakeview Pavilion.
Clifford Patterson was the first President and Harry Wilkie first Secretary-Treasurer. Although many changes have taken place in the membership in the life of the Club, three Charter Members still belong and membership remains at the original level. Lion Henry Paege a former member of Tofield, was a member of the Chipman sponsoring Club. Tofield Lions' Club is justly proud of projects in Tofield, such as operating of the skating rink, the Museum which was a brainchild of Gordon Garford., the present Lions' Playground and equipment supplied therefore. The Club has also assisted Tofield Community League on July lst, Sports Days, and given help to other organizations and individuals at various times.
The material for this article was made available by Alan Warner.
The Tofield Gun Club was first formed in the year 1958. After the idea had been "kicked around" for a month or so the club was formed with the following executive elected: President, John Hutchison; Vice President,, Gordon Garford; and Secretary Treasurer Alan Warner.
John Hutchison, who was the Calgary Power assistant in Tofield at that time was the prime mover in the organization of the club, which was known at that time as "The Tofield Rifle Club". Some of the first members were: Bill Friesen, Earl Brown, Arny Klassen, Allan McAllister, George Thiessen, Dave Morris, Peter Swizinski and Bob Nahrebeski.
The club began as strictly a smallbore target shooting club, using the facilities of the CIL Dominion Marksmen awards program for sporting rifles. The first range was a bend of the creek, directly north of the house on the A. Warner farm. The range was small, about 25 yards long and 10 yards wide, and was fenced with snow-fencing to keep cattle out. A wooden shooting platform was built at the firing line, but the members soon found this was unsatisfactory due to the built-in wobble from the movements of the shooters.
The first junior club was formed that year, also, with an enrollment of about 25 youngsters. Larry Murray was the first winner of the Northwestern Utilities Trophy for the best shot in the Junior Club.
A Ladies' Nite Shoot was held that first summer, with Frances Garford winning the honours as the best shot amongst the fair sex. Another social gathering was held in late summer when the members and their wives gathered to say goodbye to the Hutchisons at a wiener roast. At this wiener roast the club honoured their first president by making him an Honorary Lifetime member, in recognition of his efforts in organizing the club.
One of the more notable events of 1959 was the evening that some adventurous member brought his shotgun out to the range and when the light became too dim for rifle shooting, a few lumps of dirt and the odd "cow chip" provided some primitive aerial targets. Sparked by this experiment, a Western Practice trap was secured from the Bardo community where it had been used many years before. Since the club no longer was confined to rifle shooting, the name was changed to the present "Tofield Gun Club."
The first organized trapshoot was held that fall and the scores were even worse than might have been expected, as the loaders had a mania for what the shooters came to know as grass-cutters, thrown at a 45 angle and at an altitude of 6 inches.
The year 1960 opened with the news that the club would be forced to move its range because of the noise factor. A search of the district disclosed a ravine about one-half mile from town that seemed usable. After securing the blessing of C. F. Kallal, the owner, the members went to work with a will; brushing, levelling and building a trap house of railroad ties.
Most of the summer was spent working, but there were a few shoots, notably some interclub visits with Viking. These trips to Viking were enjoyed by all who attended, and at one of the first held in Tofield, Jack McArthur of Viking shot the first 25 straight at trap on Tofield grounds.
The club secured a building formerly used as a school, from the County of Beaver, and at the same time acquired "squatters' rights" on the lot on 7th Ave. East, where it was located at that time. This building became a clubhouse and indoor range. A hole was cut in the back wall and a range tunnel was constructed of railroad ties. A pile of dirt backed the end wall to stop stray shots. The bullet trap used was constructed by Bill Friesen and N. E. Stauffer using heavy gasoline casing as a basis. This proved to be a very effective and adequate bullet trap.
The acquisition of the building and the new range seemed to be the cohesive force necessary to really start the club on its way. Since 1960, it has become much more stable and effective in its operation.
The executive for this year consisted of Bob Nahrebeski as President, J. B. Warner, Vice President; Dick Whyte, Secretary-Treasurer, and Range Officer, Alan Warner.
A social evening featuring slides and movies was held in April, this type of evening being one
of the most favoured type of social-to be held since that time
Club crests were designed and made of leather by Larry Willson for the members.
In this year the club became incorporated under the Societies Act of Alberta. This was also the first year that permits were issued to club members to carry pistols to the club range, and CIL pistol competitions were entered.
Executive for this year was: President, A. Klassen; 1st Vice President, A. Warner; 2nd Vice President, G. Thiessen; Secretary-Treasurer, E.L. Willson; Directors R. Nahrebeski, G. Garford, and W. Friesen.
Dues were raised to $3.00, and range fee for non members set at 50 cents per day. Then at the Annual Meeting in November of that year the dues were again raised to $5.00 per year and family memberships set at $5.50.
The first game supper was held in the club building with each member bringing one guest. It proved very successful. A turkey shoot was held as a means of raising operating funds.
In this year the old Western practice trap was retired and a regulation trap purchased from the Edmonton Gun Club.
A wall was built in the building to separate the club room from the firing line in an attempt to reduce the noise problem. Jackets were secured from Cee-Jay Mfg. in Edmonton.
A letter of protest was sent to several organizations in regard to roadside brush spraying, as it was felt that this was detrimental to game bird chick populations.
The "Digger" type Australian Army hat was adopted as official club regalia, and the first shipment was received.
Mr. and Mrs. George Kidd were guests at the Game Supper, to which the ladies were also invited for the first time. In preparation for this the walls and ceiling of the clubroom received their first coat of calcimine in many years.
The executive for this year was unchanged from 1962.
The executive for this year was: President, Norman Stauffer; lst Vice President, A. Warner; 2nd Vice President, Ray Henriksen; Secretary, E. L. Willson; Directors, Friesen, GarfordY and Holtsbaum.
This spring again saw the club searching for an outdoor range. A location three miles north of the Creamery was chosen and brushed off, courtesy of A. Klassen and the Northwestern Utilities Caterpillar. The trap house was moved and rebuilt of concrete blocks, and both 100 yd. and 20 yd. ranges were set up.
The club also participated in the Gun Show held by the ASCCA in Edmonton.
The club also took an active part in lobbying against proposed federal legislation restricting the ownership of guns.
The First Annual Blackpowder Shoot was held July 5th and was moderately successful.
Two small .22 rifles were purchased for use by Junior members.
The following executive was elected: President, W.Friesen; 1st Vice President, G. Garford; 2nd Vice President, Glen Reil; Range Officer, A. Klassen; Secretary L. Willson; Directors, Harry Huser, N. E. Stauffer and A. Warner.
A very successful black powder shoot was held at which the NUL trophy for stake-cutting teams was presented for the first time.
The club members began to show up as winners in black powder shoots throughout the province and interest in shooting and old guns increased considerably in this year.
The Tofield club was featured in a U. S. magazine in June of this year as an example of what with limited funds can do, with full support members.
The 1966 executive consisted of Glen Reil, President; Ray Hendriksen, 1st Vice-President; A. Warner, 2nd Vice-President; L. Willson, Secretary-Treasurer; Roy Murray, Range Officer; and G. Garford, A. Klassen, and Jack Haise as Directors.
This year the club was on the move again, only this time it was the building. A foundation was poured directly east of the skating rink on the fair grounds and the members managed to skid the club house onto it by means of the county graders. All labour was volunteer, and the club managed the difficult job in a minimum of time, under the capable direction of Gordon Garford and Bill Friesen. The inner dividing wall was removed and a concrete or wooden tunnel is to be built on the rear of the building as an indoor range.
A ten-year lease on the outdoor range was secured from the owner, Stanley Schacker. A bench rest was added to the outdoor facilities, as well as a primitive running deer target holder.
The club was complimented at the annual black powder shoot by Mr. Jimmy Allen of Hargwynne, Alta. He stated that in all his years of competition in this field, Tofield ran the best shoot, and thanked the club for the invitation on behalf of all the visiting shooters. As Mr. Allen has been shooting these old guns for the past sixty years, the club was very grateful for his words.
Plans were laid in late fall for the 1967 Black powder Shoot to become a Centennial shoot with expanded prize lists and a change in competitions, in hopes of making it a memorable occasion, to celebrate Canada's birthday.
The Warner-Thiessen Memorial Trophy for club competition was purchased. It was awarded to Gordon Garford as the best all-around shot in the club, with Arny Klassen being a very close runner-up.
In the eliminations for this trophy, George Thiessen became the first Tofield member to break 25 straight at trap.
The Tofield Historical Society was formed on April 8, 1961, on a motion of Mrs. Jack Appleby and J. R. Francis at a meeting of interested persons held in the Tofield Town Hall. The first slate of officers was comprised of: Harold Schultz, president; Conrad Patterson, vice-president; Mrs. Grace Phillips, secretary; Mrs. Edna Bowick,, treasurer. The directors were Mrs. Mary Tiedemann, Mr. George Arnett, Mr. James Francis, and Stanley Dunham.
The newly formed society was registered according to the provisions of the Society Act after a constitution had been prepared and adopted.
In October, the Amisk Creek building located on the Tofield School grounds had been donated to the Historical Society by the County of Beaver for use as a museum. The chairs used by the original council of the Town of Tofield were donated to the Society by the Tofield community League in whose care they had been.
Display counters were donated by Graham Allan., Jack Whyte, and Watson's Ltd.
Artifacts of pioneer life were contributed by many local residents; display cases for pictures made by Jim Francis; arrangements made of various classifications of articles and improvements made to the museum by Harold Schults, W. McHeffey and W. Lancaster.
During the years since its inception, the Historical Society has taken an active part in the annual Dominion Day celebration sponsored by the Tofield Community League by acting as hosts to old-timers, presenting them with identifying ribbons and serving them coffee. In addition to this service, the Historical Society has always had an entry in the parade and has had an exhibition of pictures and artifacts of pioneer days on display. This exhibition has been much displayed and has been very much enjoyed. Mrs. Mary Tiedemann has donated some beautiful hand-made quilts to
the Society; these have been raffled to the financial gain of the Society.
A guest book in the museum has been signed by visitors from near and far, as well as by many groups of school children who have visited the museum as part of their school programs.
The officers for the Society remained the same until 1966, with the addition of Dave Heidebrecht and Wm. Lancaster as directors. In 1966, J.R. Francis replaced Grace Phillips as secretary while S.J. Sears and C. Appleby became directors. In 1967, E. Wood became a director. Mrs. Bowick moved away; the treasurer's duties were taken over by the secretary.
In 1967, the Society decided to publish a book containing a written and pictorial history of Tofield. It was felt that this would be a valuable project, since it would form a permanent record of our town and district.